Panna Cotta With Summer Berries
Summer is my favorite time of year. There is so much about it that I love, like; sitting outside in the evening as the sun sets and the stars start to come out, hiking and camping in the mountains, roasting s’mores over a campfire, the Fourth of July holiday with fireworks and bbq’s, farmer’s markets and all of the fresh fruits & vegetables that summer brings.
One of my other loves of summer is the array of delicious summer desserts. I love dessert. I could eat dessert for dinner every night and be perfectly happy, but my waist line wouldn’t. Some of my favorite desserts are crème brulee, custard and panna cotta. They all are deliciously creamy with a light vanilla flavor. I am a vanilla girl, I leave the chocolate to my husband. Yes I know, that makes me very untraditional when it comes to females and chocolate, but it’s just not my favorite, and that’s okay.
Lately, I have seen some of the cutest desserts in jars. So, having just purchased these darling tulip jars and with a fridge full of strawberries and blueberries I decided a panna cotta with summer berries was just what I needed to make in them.
What is Panna Cotta? Why, let me tell you! Panna Cotta is an Italian dessert made from sweetened cream thickened with gelatin and molded. I haven’t been to Italy yet, but it is high on my bucket list of places to go and I can’t wait to try all of the fresh pasta, gelato and panna cotta they make there.
This recipe is really easy to make and will serve 8 so you will have some leftovers for breakfast the next morning if you desire! For me, the most time consuming part is dicing the strawberries.
You won’t need to do anything with your blueberries other than wash them and make sure there are no stems. Start by filling your jars with the berries. You can use any type of berry you want, raspberries or black berries would be delicious also.
Next, you will sprinkle the gelatin over water and let it sit to dissolve. Then, make your panna cotta mixture by heating the heavy cream, whole milk, and sugar in a heavy pan over the stovetop. Once the sugar is dissolved and it is heated through, but not to the point of boiling, add the vanilla. I prefer using a vanilla paste or real vanilla beans, scraped out. Pour this mixture over the gelatin and stir until completely combined. Then, pour your panna cotta mixture into the jars and refrigerate 3-4 hours to set.
Top your dessert with fresh whipped cream and additional berries then serve. Yum! My mouth is watering just looking at these.
Isn’t this a beautiful summer dessert?
This Panna Cotta with fresh summer berries would be a beautiful dessert for a 4th of July or Labor Day picnic.
I hope you love this recipe!
Until next time…….Travel On!
- Panna Cotta-
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup blueberries, washed and de-stemmed
- 3 Tbsp. unflavored gelatin powder
- 5 Tbsp. cold water
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla paste
- Whipped Cream-
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla paste
- additional berries, for topping
- Divide the chopped strawberries and blueberries evenly between eight 8oz. tulip jars.
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water in your mixing bowl and let stand 5-10 minutes.
- Heat the heavy whipping cream, whole milk and sugar in a heavy saucepan over med-high heat, stirring constantly just until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is hot but not boiling.
- Remove from heat and vanilla paste.
- Pour the milk mixture over the gelatin mixture and stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Pour your panna cotta mixture into the prepared tulip jars, leaving about a ½ inch at the top.
- Place in refrigerator and chill for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Once firm, make your whipped cream by whipping the heavy cream until it begins to thicken.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla paste and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Top the panna cotta with whipped cream and additional berries.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
FREE exclusive vacation planning tips
Get access to travel tips, destinations, itineraries, recipes and more!