Homemade Disneyland Mickey Shaped Beignets!
Oh, Disneyland. What is not to love about Disneyland? I get all nostalgic just thinking about it, especially the food.
Of all of the treats you can get at Disneyland my personal favorites are the Mickey Shaped Beignets and Mint Juleps from the Mint Julep Bar in New Orleans Square.
Disneyland serves their mickey shaped beignets fresh and hot, in a paper bag, with a healthy dose of powdered sugar. These little treats melt in your mouth they are so good you won’t be able to stop at just one! I had to go back for seconds, okay maybe thirds but who’s counting?
After returning home I couldn’t help but keep thinking about those beignets, so I pulled out a recipe I found years ago, cut out from an old magazine and made up a batch of these yummy treats. I used a Mickey shaped pancake mold that I purchased at the Disney store while shopping in Downtown Disney. You can find the same set here , or use any Mickey cookie cutter.
This recipe adds a touch of nutmeg giving it a rich and delicious flavor. We love to sprinkle powdered sugar over them and serve our Mickey Shaped Beignets with a side of fruit and yogurt for a scrumptious weekend breakfast.
The best part to this Mickey Shaped Beignet recipe is being able to make it up the night before, stick it in the refrigerator overnight, and then pull them out to raise for 30 minutes and they are ready to fry up.
They are so yummy you will want to mix up a batch of these delicious Mickey Shaped Beignets for your next lazy morning breakfast.
Do you love Disneyland?
You won’t want to miss this post on How to Get the BEST Experience at Disneyland
or this one about Meeting Disneyland Characters
Until Next Time…..Travel On!
- 3 to 3¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pkg. active dry yeast
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. shortening
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- Shortening or cooking oil for deep-fat frying
- Sifted powdered sugar
- In a large mixing bowl stir together 1½ cups of the flout, yeast and nutmeg.
- In a small saucepan heat and stir milk, sugar, shortening, and salt just until warm (120° to 130° F) and the shortening is almost melted.
- Add milk mixture to the flour mixture. Add the egg and beat with an electric mixer for 30 seconds, scraping the bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a spoon, stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl; turn once to grease the surface. Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- Roll into a 15x12 inch rectangle; cut into Mickey shaped or 3x2 rectangles. Cover; let rest 20 minutes (dough will not be doubled).
- Heat 3 inches of shortening or oil in a deep saucepan to 375° F. Fry a few dough pieces at a time in hot fat for about 1 minute or until beignets are brown on both sides.
- If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve warm.
FREE exclusive vacation planning tips
Get access to travel tips, destinations, itineraries, recipes and more!